How much an employee loves his work describes employee engagement. It's basically the bond between the company and its employees. Normally, if the salaries are high, employees are always satisfied, but that does not mean that they love their work or they keep on pushing their limit every day. If explained simply, employee engagement is how much an employee is engaged in his work.
For any employee, the most important thing should be his dedication towards his work. Some part of dedication comes from the company’s side as well. If the company does not treat the employees well, there will be zero to minimum employee engagement.
Why is employee engagement necessary?
Employee satisfaction will drive the employee’s life, but employee engagement will increase the achievements of the company. Employees are the major workforce in any company, and their good performance is very important.
If the employees are only working for the salary, then the output of their work will be poor. You need to make sure an employee does his daily work properly and also attributes new ideas to the company. The working strategy of an employee should be marked daily or weekly.
Employee engagement can be improved in the following ways
1. Establish a general definition of employee engagement for the company. The definition should not differ for every employee. There should be a common flow of values between the employee and the organization. This will help you to measure engagement properly.
2. Include employee engagement as something that a company should abide by. Employee engagement should not only adhere to a certain department or an individual, but it should also be included as a business routine. The work of engagement is not only of HR but of the entire company.
3. Measure the performance of an employee weekly. If you are not able to measure the daily performance of an employee, at least do it on a weekly basis. You have to know where your team lacks and where your team excels. This will help you while assorting them their work. The part where they excel is probably the part they like, and by giving them work according to this preference, the engagement of the employees will increase.
4. Whenever an employee does a work which profited your business let the whole company know about his work. Recognition of an employee will make them do more work than desired, which will, in turn, increase the performance. Every employee needs appreciation, and a good boss should always give credits to the employees.
5. At times when you feel that an employee has constantly been working hard for the company, reward him. It could be anything from promotion to a bonus, make him feel that he is important to the company. If an employee is satisfied with his reward and recognition, he will try and improve his performance. If an employee does not get credits for his work, he is going to decrease his level of performance.
6. Teamwork ensures good work. Employee engagement can also be achieved through teamwork. A good team consisting of the proper hierarchy will ensure that the work is done properly. The team should understand their duties and work accordingly. The supervisor of the team should not allow all the work to employees; even he should work along with them. This will create goodwill among employees, and they will work wholeheartedly towards the goal.
7. Communicate. You need to know what is increasing or decreasing the performance of an employee. If you don’t communicate with your employees, you won’t know their work strategy or the level at which they are working. Good communication is going to provide better results.
Conclusion: For any company to run efficiently, employee engagement is very necessary. When the engagement level is high, the target achieved will be high, and when there is no engagement, the target achieved is going to be less. Employee engagement is not any other moral value; it is a way of running a business.