As a hiring manager to get the best talent, I have learned these 7 things:
1. Ditch the recycled questions and have a conversation with the candidate.
2. Focus on the real person not just the resume.
3. Gaps in employment should be seen as a positive - it reveals true character. (values, commitment, resilience, personal development.etc)
4. Never overlook a candidate because they are over a certain age group (Overqualified). Their contributions are invaluable
5. Give timely feedback to candidates. It will help with future hiring.
6. Even if you didn't select candidate, recommend them for other vacancies.
7. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut. Take a chance on someone. We need to bring back the human-to-human approach.
A candidate does not need to tick every box to be the best fit. I see so many qualified candidates being eliminated for silly reasons. What a waste of talent!