How addressing workplace bullying & harassment in Canada ?

Added: 2 months ago
  • Answer

In light of the #MeToo movement, my concern is for office bullying. Are Canadian workplaces taking steps to protect workers from bullying, harassment, and other types of misconduct on the job? Female employees are more concerned for security and job assurance in any company

Share & Follow this Post

Add Your Answer
1 Answer

Ajay Thakur
Ajay Thakur One month ago

Very relevant issue. I read the book "Managing your boss" by Rashmi Datt where some Indian examples are given. There are plenty of American and Canadian examples. 

In extreme cases, it can be described as a mental and emotional rape of a human being but Indians are used to taking such things in their stride like poor governance, customer indifference, or even our atrocious credit system.

Where bullying specifically is concerned, if the top guy himself is a bully or turns a blind eye to bullying by someone else, I don't think there is much you can do about it. Better to leave.

The Canadian Province of Quebec introduced legislation addressing workplace bullying on 1 June 2004. In its Act representing Labor Standards "psychological harassment" is prohibited. The Commission des normes du travail is the organization responsible for the application of this act.

Under the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act 1979, "all employers must take every precaution reasonable in the circumstances to protect the health and safety of their workers in the workplace. This includes protecting them against the risk of workplace violence "The Act requires the establishment of Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committees for larger employers.

Under the act, workplace violence is defined as "...the attempted or actual exercise of any intentional physical force that causes or may cause physical injury to a worker. It also includes any threats which give a worker reasonable grounds to believe he or she is at risk of physical injury"

Votes

A Platform committed to make a difference
in the world we share