What would your co-workers say about you?

Added: One month ago
  • Answer
Share & Follow this Post

Add Your Answer
1 Answer

Kajal Thakur
Kajal Thakur 22 days ago

Interviewers want to know if you’ll fit in with the team. This question can also help you highlight your strengths without feeling like you’re bragging.

Here are some good replies.

Reply-1

I would expect that most coworkers would describe me as driven. When I join teams or start on projects, I spend a lot of time understanding what’s most important about the work, which is a huge motivating factor for me.

Once I lock in on what matters most, I share it with the team so we’re all invested with a common purpose. Being driven allows me to share what some have called my “infectious enthusiasm” with others and rally the team, and also means that I spend a lot of time with my work to make sure it’s done well. My teams have solid track records of hitting if not exceeding their goals because of this focus and ability to motivate.

A good example was when I was working with quite a large group, and our project was given to us top-down. This didn’t feel empowering for the team, but I worked with leadership and our user research team to help the engineers and designers recognize the value of what we were working on.

It was slated to be a multi-year project, but because the team was motivated and we focused on creating specifications for the product, we were able to deliver a prototype in just a few months.

Reply-2

My coworkers have told me that I am a technical leader who sets ambitious goals, reliably delivers work on time, and shows empathy to each team member.

In a recent peer review, I received great feedback for being a team player. One of my coworkers needed to take some time off to address some pressing personal issues. He wasn’t comfortable asking, as we were working on a very tight timeline and everyone had limited bandwidth — especially me. But knowing that he would be stronger in his role and that the team would be healthier if he was given space to handle outside concerns, I offered to take up his responsibilities for 3 weeks.

It was a stretch, but I knew it was temporary. I emphasized time management and prioritization to ensure that no deadlines were missed. When he returned, he was able to focus and our team was even more productive.

Reply-3

Years ago, I read a book called Seeing Yourself as Others Do. The book posits that while we are young in our careers, we can get away with being aggressive in our work style and stepping on toes to get things done.

However, as we progress, we’re inevitably tasked with more responsibilities than we could ever handle alone. At this point, it becomes imperative to have the support of those around us — whether or not they are direct reports.

I have taken this message seriously and built relationships with people all over the organization. I regularly meet with people from other departments who I don’t normally work with. Because of this strong foundation, I am comfortable picking up the phone and asking for help from a large network of colleagues. And it isn’t just one way! I regularly get calls requesting help and advice on a wide array of projects.

As such, I would expect that my coworkers would say that I’m personable, supportive, hard-working, and thoughtful. We spend more time with our co-workers than we do with our own families, so it’s important to keep professional relationships strong for team morale and success.

Votes

A Platform committed to make a difference
in the world we share